Pictured: (Back row, left to right) RCCF Executive Director Michael Hutcheson, 2019 Hughey Award recipient Jeff Beech and RCCF Board of Directors Chairman Allan Jones. (Front row, left to right) John K. Morgan Scholarship honorees Zora Duncan, Cionne Gates, Jazmyn Flakes, Jordan Newton, and Faith Shamley. Not pictured: Jaymion Moore.
The John K. Morgan Scholarship is established to recognize outstanding community service in Rockdale County. The scholarship will be awarded to an individual who has demonstrated this outstanding community service in Rockdale County and plans to continue that level of commitment while pursuing post secondary education. The scholarship will be awarded to assist with college related expenses only.
- Must be a Rockdale County resident;
- Must have demonstrated outstanding community service in Rockdale County as a volunteer;
- Anticipating completion of a high school diploma or GED at the time of application;
- Making plans to pursue post secondary education;
- Must be eligible for post secondary enrollment in degree or certificate program at an accredited institution;
- If selected for the scholarship, will commit to:
- Providing a quarterly report of community service hours that describes the service;
- Serving a minimum of five hours a month to maintain scholarship and be eligible for renewal of the scholarship. The scholarship may be renewed for up to three years;
- Being at a minimum a part-time student in good standing at the post-secondary institution.
To apply, you must follow these steps:
- Applicants can apply between October 2019 and January 31, 2020. Final applications must be postmarked no later than January 31, 2020.
- Include in the application a narrative describing your community service in Rockdale County including the name of the organization, dates of service, and type of service. (Maximum of 1000 words.)
- Include a copy of current official high school transcript or official record of progress toward GED (If selected, applicant must provide a copy of final transcripts or official GED certificate to demonstrate eligibility for post secondary enrollment.)
- Provide two letters of recommendation – one must be from a recipient of your community service.
- Application process:
- Type the required information in the appropriate spaces.
- Print out the completed application form.
- Mail the completed application form (signed by applicant, parent/guardian if applicable) with the necessary documents and materials including the narrative, two sealed letters of recommendations, current official high school or official record of progress toward GED. Postmarked no later than January 31, 2020.
The John K. Morgan Scholarship Committee will select finalists to be interviewed prior to making a selection. Interviews will be conducted during February 2020. The recipient(s) will be announced on March 19, 2020, at the Rockdale Coalition for Children and Families Annual Awards Reception to be held at the Rockdale Career Academy at 6:00 p.m..
Rockdale Coalition F. William Hughey
Community Service Award
Pictured: RCCF Board of Directors Chairman Allan Jones, RCCF Executive Director Michael Hutcheson, 2019 Hughey Award recipient Jeff Beech and Greta Beech.
The Rockdale Coalition F. William Hughey Community Service Award is an annual award established to recognize an individual who has demonstrated outstanding, collaborative community service in the Rockdale community. A cash donation will also be made to a community organization that serves the Rockdale community as selected by the recipient of this award.
- A person who has demonstrated outstanding community service in the Rockdale community;
- A person who has demonstrated a collaborative spirit in working well with others in the Rockdale community.
- The Award Selection Committee shall review nominations and present qualified nominees to the Rockdale Coalition Executive Committee.
- The Rockdale Coalition Executive Committee shall select the award recipient to be recognized at the Rockdale Coalition Annual Awards Reception on Thursday, March 21, 2019 at the Rockdale Career Academy.